I am a life-long resident of Carroll County
I am currently serving my second term as Carroll County’s Commissioner for District 1. Prior to being elected to public office, I spent 30 years as a career firefighter, 47 years as a local volunteer firefighter, and owned my own business Wantz Lawn Care.
I have been extremely active in my community since a young age, volunteering and serving in various leadership roles, in numerous organizations and community activities, which has enabled me to understand and be in touch with the real needs of the citizens of Carroll County.
- Uniontown Elementary School
- New Windsor Middle School
- Francis Scott Key High School
- McDaniel College (previously Western Maryland College)
- University of Maryland Baltimore County
- University of Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute
- Graduate of University of Maryland Academy for Excellence in Governance
- Baltimore County Fire Department from 1982 to 2012.
- Awarded Firefighter of The Year by The Dundalk VFW 1983.
- Awarded Firefighter of The Year by The Pikesville Chamber of Commerce in 2003 and 2012
- Honored for legislative work by the Maryland State Firemen’s Association
- Inducted into the Carroll County Volunteer Emergency Services Association Hall of Fame
- Fuchs (formerly Baltimore Spice): Operated and in charge of sample laboratory
- York Wire Cloth (formerly Keystone Seneca Wire Cloth): Assistant Sales Manager
- Wantz Lawn Care: Owner & Operator.
- Carroll County Commissioner since 2014.
- Carroll County Commissioner – District 1 since 2014.
- During my two terms as Commissioner, and previously as President CCVESA, I have been actively involved in testifying and supporting important legislation in Annapolis.
- Maryland Association of Counties Board of Directors
Most Recent Service on Boards and Councils
- Appointed By Governor Hogan for a second term on Governor’s Emergency Management Advisory Council
- Federal Emergency Management Region III elected representative
- R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Board of Visitors
- Baltimore Metropolitan Council immediate past chair
- Economic Alliance of Greater Baltimore
- Carroll Community College Board of Trustees
- Maryland Association of Counties Legislative Committee and Board of Directors
- Carroll County Opioid Senior Policy Group
- Carroll County Planning and Zoning Commission
- Silver Run – Union Mills Advisory Council
- Member Pleasant Valley Community Volunteer Fire Department 1976 to Present
- Served in offices including: Fire Lieutenant, Fire Captain, Assistant Fire Chief, Chief of Fire Department, Ambulance Lieutenant, Ambulance Captain, Secretary, Vice President, Board of Directors.
- Currently still riding emergency equipment and an active Volunteer.
- Carroll County Fire Chief’s Association: Past President
- Carroll County Emergency Services Association: Past President
- Carroll County Emergency Ambulance Services: Past Vice President
- Baust United Church Of Christ served on Consistory
- St. Matthews United Church Of Christ served on Consistory
- St. Mary’s United Church Of Christ served on Consistory
- Currently attending The Crossroads Community Church
- Served as Organist at various Weddings and Church Services throughout Carroll Co.
- Member of The Westminster Municipal Band from 1982 to present
- Currently serving as a Drum Major