Stephen A. Wantz
Maryland House of Delegates - District 5
People before Politics
Serving the citizens of Carroll County with no personal agenda
I am currently finishing my second term as the Carroll County Commissioner for District 1 and am announcing that I am running to be a representative for all the citizens of District 5 as I pursue a seat in the Maryland House of Delegates. It has been a pleasure serving you and making a difference for you, the citizens of Carroll County since 2014. I was honored to have been selected by the hardworking people of Carroll County for two terms as Commissioner and I ask for your support again in this campaign for Maryland State Delegate.
Sending a two-term seasoned Commissioner to Annapolis, who has been connected and heavily involved during legislation is a huge advantage, as I know what it means to put together a challenging government budget, affect legislation, and ensure that all aspects of local government work for its citizens. I look forward to the opportunity to continue to serve the people of Carroll County, reaching across the aisle as needed to attain the common goal of doing what is best, as we are always outnumbered in Annapolis.
As a lifelong resident of Carroll County, I have spent most of my life volunteering and being heavily involved in the community, as noted on the next page. I have spent countless hours serving various organizations and community activities, which has kept me in touch with the real needs of the citizens of Carroll County.
It has been a pleasure serving you and making a difference for all of you, the citizens of Carroll County since 2014. I was honored to have been selected by the hardworking people of Carroll County for two terms as Commissioner and I ask for your support again in this campaign for Maryland State Delegate. As I have done for the last 8 years as Commissioner when uncertain of a decision I have relied on input from the experts and the citizens in decision making, as I continue serving with no personal agenda.
- A leader with 47 years of volunteer community service, proven, collaborative, effective leadership, and integrity.
- Committed to conservative government with open communication, focused on local issues.
- Ready to continue to work for all citizens, across party lines, being present and prepared at meetings.
- Supported by organizations made up of the hard-working teachers, firefighters, and law enforcement who work live and pay taxes in this state.
- Committed to providing quality public education ensuring public safety, and maintaining county infrastructure, without raising taxes. Preserving quality education is essential to attracting business and providing a tax base for future stability.
- A small business owner in Carroll County from 1983 until 2014.
- In support of our nonprofits, families, seniors, military, and veterans in need.
I believe in:
- A Vision – as an elected official I will continue to provide leadership, experience, and open dialogue
- Protecting Carroll’s Future – listening to the issues and making sound decisions, while working for my constituents, will provide a bright future for our county
- Responding To Carroll’s Future – we have an obligation to provide quality education, ensure public safety, and maintain our county infrastructure. We have the duty to promote the economic, social, and environmental well-being of our communities.
I am married to my wonderful wife Kathy. We have two daughters and four grandchildren. I retired from the Baltimore County Fire Department after a thirty-year career and have been involved with fire and emergency services in Carroll Carroll since 1976.
Prior to my election in 2014, I served on numerous committees including Carroll 2030, and have been involved in many aspects of local government. I was also a small business owner since 1983 up until receiving your vote and becoming your commissioner.
Time continues to fly. The June elections will be here before you know it. I will continue to provide the county with effective leadership. Integrity, accountability, honesty, open communication, collaboration, and engaging people to reach common goals are cornerstones of my leadership. I will continue to protect the needs of all citizens and maintain excellent public safety, infrastructure, and excellent public education in a conservative and fiscally responsible manner. I understand that many agencies and non-profits are underfunded and will continue to work with the other commissioners to reach common goals and do what is best for our county. Together we can continue to make it happen. Please continue to support my campaign by talking with everyone you can. I would love to hear from you with your thoughts on how we can make Our County A Better Place To Live For You and Your Family.
2022 State of the County
“Good morning. It is again my distinct honor and privilege to address all of you for the final time, as your District 1 Commissioner. For me, this is a very bittersweet moment. I have stood before you for eight years at various meetings, venues, and events with nothing but pride and deep gratitude of allowing me to represent you as an elected Carroll County official. The memories are forever engrained in my mind and this honor will not soon be forgotten. This born and raised Carroll County Francis Scott Key graduate is forever grateful. The focus for this, my final State of the County address, is on those 8 years and the incredible progress we have made moving forward as a County…